• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Valerian Root questions.

Big)Sky

Bluelighter
Okay so heres my problem. I have a slight anxiety problem, and a studder. I notice my studder worsen as my anxiety level rises.

Everytime i start to feel a slight bit of anxiety coming on, i take a 5-htp which contains valerian root, and within a few hours i feel a sense of relief.

I was wondering if it was the 5-Htp releiving my anxiety, or is it the valerian root?

Also is valerian root addictive like a benzo?

I use valerian sometimes and it helps in a very mild way, not much though. It's not addictive at all.

Valerian root can become slightly addictive as some people cannot sleep without it if they use it too often. My guess would be its the valerian root that has the anti anxiety effects. You might want to try damiana though, one of its main applications is anxiety relief.

I tried valerian a couple of years ago, I was switching between night work and day work and my sleep cycle was all messed up, someone suggested valerian may help me get to sleep.
I took it in the recommended dose for a few weeks and In my opinion it did nothing at all, made absolutely no difference whatsoever.

I was not taking any other drugs at the time, was eating well and was healthy.

Ashwagandha (In Whole Root form) is loads more effective and beneficial to the body and mind. It does have adaptogenic qualities (reacts to the changing needs of your body; Ginseng and Eletheuro are 2 other famous adaptogens), and is indicated for anxiety, insomnia, and pain! it's my main ally now that I've left opes behind, and It never leaves me feeling unsatisfied. Make it strong if you have to, it won't hurt you! (Unless you're allergic, in which case chew a small piece for 30 mins and see what happens; hopefully no skin eruptions or such {I've given it to over 30 friends who are experienced and not with herbs, and all have enjoyed it, allergic reaction-free})

I'll be checking in if there b questions.

Love & Light, EH? :)